Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Where I'm up to so far!!

Blimey the catch up I had to do has been far more than I thought. It's been impossible to post about the week 2-3 activities on the tutor group forum or wiki because I end up falling further behind. The course is fast paced like H808 was. I've decided to sum up what I've found so far and start participating on the week 4 activities and go on from there.

Week 2
The learning outcomes of this week are to:
  • understand the challenges for disabled students
  • collaborate with other students in compiling a taxonomy of such challenges
  • understand the challenges that arise in different subjects and contexts
So did I meet the learning outcomes...well yes and no! I'm aware of the support offered by OU to a student who declares a disability as well as funding available to meet costs. I agree with dyslexia now being more widely recognised as a disability. My son is borderline as well as having Raynauds . I suppose we view it more as a challenge than a disability with the Raynauds being the more problematic especially in the cold weather and because he's an artist and his hands are his tools. During exams he is given a room of his own....nothing to do with his learning difficulty but this allows him to exercise his hands/feet without disrupting other students.
I think this highlights the fact that the challenges that students with impairment face are personal to them and cannot be so easily generalised. What may be a challenge to one student may not be to another though they may share the same impairment.....the impairment will always affect people differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment