Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Jump to TMA 01

After desperately trying to catch up all I seem to have achieved is is a big fat nothing.......I can't catch up to the others who are too far ahead. So I've made the decision to not try! Instead I'm going to start the TMA and work backwards. This is a strategy that one of the other tutors proposed on her site and it seems it may work for me!

For Week 3 I have read Seale re legislation. And I agree with Seale that the legislation for most country's is confusing and open to misinterpretation. Having been on the receiving end of it in the past I am sceptical in its ability to be fair to all concerned but I need to get past this so it doesn't affect how I provide support for students with impairment.
With regard to disability awareness training I have received none both in my last workplace and in he past 21 months that I have worked for the OU. However I intend to ask my line manager if there is any training in the near future that I can participate in.

As for the TMA I have no students with disabilities that I'm aware of and past experiences are limited, so I'm looking at it from the OU's point of view e.g what they provide etc etc. Definitely focusing on online learning. My students don't actually have to be online but they will next year with the implementation of a VLE so I may attempt to address future challenges but as my tutor has stated.. I need to explain quite clearly that I'm projecting to a future situation and that I also manage to demonstrate a grasp of a wide range of the potential issues.....now I just have to fathom out what they are!!! The critical evaluation should be ok if its based on course materials.
So that's the plan for now.....

2 comments:

  1. Tracey.

    The way to get to the end of the road is one step at a time.

    i am surprised that the Ou doen't practice what they teach in relation to accessibility training. Perhaps I misunderstood previous readings that accessibility awareness was encouraged or maybe as some of the notes you will find that it is dowm to each professional to find out the information for themselves to keep the organisation legal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John
    I have attended all CPD that OU has offered so far but disability awareness hasn't come up. I did attend a weekend on challenges of the VLE and there may have been something in that but there was a lot of sessions so only attended what I could.I will bring it up with line manager though.

    ReplyDelete