Sunday, May 17, 2009

I'm an Elluminate convert!!!

Well it had to happen eventually I guess!!
I attended a staff development day at OU in the North yesterday. The session was mainly on Elluminate. I actually took part in the demonstration... I don't think I disgraced myself too much!! I was the student in the same room as other AL's. I used the microphone but the audio was put through to the rooms speakers so everyone could hear. A roving AL In Holland joined in the session though her microphone didn't work. Graham, the Elluminate Champion, took the role of moderator and he was in a separate room.
The session definitely gave me more confidence in using the tool. Graham also gave us moderator privileges so it was nice to see what was available from a tutor point of view. I really liked the tool for students to be able to select multiple choice answers. The tutor can also switch off a microphone should a learner be hogging the discussion too much.
I hadn't realised that I could text a message to just the moderator if I wanted to, preventing the other participants from seeing.
Also discussed was Elluminate Plan...where resources and tutorials could be planned in advance to use in a later Elluminate session. Also Elluminate Publish where recordings can be saved but unlike now they can be looked at and if good enough could be shared for others to use in their sessions.
Everyone was impressed by Elluminate but agreed that it wouldn't work for all levels of learners or for all courses. We did feel it would be useful for tutors to use to share ideas etc or for learners to use for study groups. In fact the follow up to this development day will now be held using Elluminate.

1 comment:

  1. Tracey,
    I was there, too, and indeed, have just started the EdD where I am looking at the affordances of Elluminate as a staff development resource. Would you be interested, longer-term, in taking a more active part in this research?? This would involve reflecting, on occasions, on your use of, and experience wih, Elluminate. If you're interested, get back to me at j.w.roy@open.ac.uk

    James Roy

    ReplyDelete