Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Elluminate

Last Saturday was an Elluminate tutorial. It was very good but still took a while for everyone to feel confident to participate....not sure if this was still due to people being unsure if they should speak in case someone else also did. Would I use Elluminate as a tutor? I ask this as I'm attending a CPD day at OU this week on Elluminate. I think as the time is restricted...1 may be 2 hours....the tutor has to ensure that the subject for discussion is well prepared using questions or activities. In f2f tutorials I feel more can be covered in the 2 hours...this may be because students have awareness of how the tutorial is structured. I wonder if Elluminate could be used as an enhancement to the f2f tutorial. It could also be a tool to use for those students who are unable to attend f2f. For my students in particular they could use it almost as a chat room to give each other support, share ideas etc. Some tutors use Facebook but Elluminate would incorporate students being able to hear each other......I'm warming to it lol!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracey,

    Happy to hear you are warming up to Elluminate! Many of our customers use it for tutorials and small group work. You can have students post photos in their Elluminate profile and/or use webcams to see each other. For those who miss sessions or want to review for exams, recordings work well. And don't forget you can have up to 6 simultaneous talkers.

    Good luck with your masters and keep on Elluminating!

    - Beth, Elluminate Goddess of Communication

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth
    thanks for the message......I hadn't thought about using the recordings. I was wondering if it could be used with a f2f tutorial for those who can't attend using Elluminate to interact with those in the class...could it work through interactive wipe board or all students needing individual access..if that makes sense?
    T

    ReplyDelete